Sunday, November 1, 2009

Get into Action

Exercise #1: First Steps
One of the tasks that I was to complete this week was to see my advisor and map out a plan for the next 2 .5 years of the courses that i have and still need to take for my major. On Tuesday i met with my advisor and after sitting down with her, i felt sad and happy. I was sad because starting next year I'm going to have to take Summer school classes probably all the way up until I graduate in order to graduate in the time that I want to and so that I have enough time to take all the courses that are required. I know that I have a lot of hard work to do and can't keep letting myself get discouraged when i see that its going to be a long rode down for me. I'm really trying to work on that with myself. I have to realize that there's alot of things in life that i'm not going to want to do,but have no choice to do it if i want to be or get to a certain point in my life. One of the reasons i was happy was because i had some very encouraging words from my advisor which really meant alot to me. I've heard of stories were students get horrible advisors who don't really care what type of classes they take, but mine really does. She told me that she knows, im going to have a tough and hard rode to walk on in the future,but she knows that I'm capable of doing it. I've heard these words many times from my family and friends, but its actually very nice to hear it from someone that doesn't really know you and doesn't even have to say anything to you, but the classes that you're planning to take. The second goal, that i wrote down to do was go and ask for tutoring. Even though im not taking any hard science courses now, i know that im going to need help with them in the future, so i went to the honors college and got there schedule for tutors. I emailed my old chemisrty T.A who i found very helpful last semester if she was interested in tutoring my one on one in exchange for some money. She emailed me back that night and said that she wouldn't mind to tutor me and that she would even do it for free, which was outstanding news for me and parents because they were the ones who were going to have to pay her. All in all i had a very successful week in completing my goals and I'm feeling very confident with myself and the goals that i have set for myself in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Great Job! You now @least have a plan & know exactly what you need to do. I am confident you will overcome your fears & soar to new heights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work! I'm connecting with the piece about having mixed emotions when realizing what still needs to be done. That's important to acknowledge and I just want to appreciate the fact that you continue to move forward each week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im happy for you. It is a tough rode but it is possible. The sciences are tough but no matter what your major is it requires commitment and discipline.... you might as well put that effort towards something you really want.

    ReplyDelete